Church Council Nominations and Applications
The Church Council's nomination and application process runs from Sept. 1, 2018 to Sept. 30, 2018.
About Church Council
In conjunction with the pastor, the Church Council is responsible for implementing and guarding the integrity of the mission, values and vision of Bon Air Baptist Church.
The council is made up of 9 members of the church that are nominated and voted on by the congregation. They meet at least once monthly and act as the church on all matters except those specified in the By Laws of the church. The members of the church council are on three year terms, with 3 members rotating off each year.
Current Church Council Members
Church Council Members for Bon Air Baptist Church
Meredith Van Voorhis
FAQs-Frequently Asked Questions
What does the Church Council do?
Per the By Laws IV Church Council; Section 1 & 2…
In conjunction with the pastor, the Church Council is responsible for implementing and guarding the integrity of the mission, values and vision of Bon Air Baptist Church. The Church Council shall annually review the strategies and objectives to accomplish the church’s purpose. A key role of the Church Council is to help guide the church in proper decision making process. Church Council will act as the church on matters except those noted below.
Church Council shall not:
- Call a Senior Pastor and/or ministerial staff members
- Change the Constitution or By-Laws
- Alter the identity or denomination affiliation
- Enter into contracts or agreements that require trustee signatures
- Adopt the budget
- Approve a large financial obligation
- Start or disband a multi-site location
What are the requirements of a Church Council member?
Per the By Laws IV Church Council; Section 3…
In order to serve on the Church Council, an individual must be:
- a member of Bon Air Baptist Church for at least 5 years
- be fully engaged / invested in the church;
- have demonstrated leadership in a variety of capacities; be knowledgeable of various Bon Air Baptist ministries;
- be a spiritually mature Christian who makes decisions based on the what is best for the church.
- A member of the Church Council cannot lead another church team while serving on the council.
- The Church Council shall be comprised of 9 members, plus the pastor or pastor’s designate. The Church Council shall be elected by the church to serve a 3 year term, one-third of whom rotate off each year. A Church Council member may be eligible for re-election only after a lapse of at least 1 year.
- The Church Council will be led by a lay member for a 1 year term, elected by its members.
- The Church Council will meet at least once a month. A quorum of the Church Council shall consist of 7 members, excluding the pastor or pastor’s designate.
- In order to serve on the Church Council, an individual must be:
How will the application process work?
Per By Laws IV Church Council; Section 4…
Church members will nominate candidates for the Church Council on an annual basis. A nomination form and supporting documents will be completed based on the communicated deadlines. The returning Church Council members will vet the nominated candidates to confirm qualifications are met and present all qualified candidates to the church for consideration. The church will vote for the new Church Council members in the January business meeting for the new term.
What is the next step?
If you feel you know someone who demonstrates these qualities and is willing to consider becoming a Church Council member, fill out the nomination sheet. This step will start the application. It will be up to the nominee to ensure all forms and deadlines are met. Pray for and support the nominee as he or she continues through this process. All forms are available on the website and in the church office in a hard copy format or contact your campus pastor.
(Nominations will be received in the September)